Saulat Mirza may be executed after Pakistan Day or never
QUETTA: Deputy Superintendent of Central Prison Mach, Balochistan has said the execution of Saulat Mirza, which had been delayed for 72 hours on Wednesday night, could take place after Pakistan Day, March 23, 2015.
“Since March 22, 23 are officially off-days, no execution will be carried out on those days,” he said, indicating that Mirza may in effect get a reprieve longer than the sanctioned 72 hours.
Prison officials added Mirza is still in the death cell and would remain there till he is either hanged or any other orders are received from the authorities concerned.
However, sources in Home Department said Mirza’s death sentence may be converted into life sentence given his recent revelations, and promise to help the government trace target killers associated with the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM).
“This decision is being taken in national interest. He may be of help in tracing witnesses, which could then be used to trace masterminds of targeted killings in Karachi,” said a senior official who did not wish to be quoted.
Balochistan clueless about Mirza’s video statement
While the video recording of Mirza made headlines across Pakistan, the Balochistan government and officials at Mach jail could not verify whether the statement had been filmed inside the prison.
“Balochistan government has ordered an inquiry to determine where Mirza’s video statement was recorded,” said Home Minister Sarfraz Bugti. “I would be able to comment on the video once the inquiry is complete.”
Meanwhile, Superintendent of Central Prison Mach Ishaq Zehri rejected the notion that the statement had been recorded inside the jail premises.
“The prisoner was jailed at different places, and it is possible the video was recorded in any other prison,” he told reporters.
On the other hand, BBC Urdu, while quoting an unnamed high ranking official, claimed that Mirza’s video had been recorded by the secret government agency.
The official, who wished not to be named, revealed that the video was recorded in Mach Jail, just a day before Mirza’s execution, before being disseminated to media.
Some quarters said that the video had been recorded three days ago.
The home minister added that Mirza’s execution was delayed because of his health issues, who fell unconscious on Wednesday night.
“The decision to postpone his execution was taken after his medical examination,” he said.
Balochistan had informed the federal government about his medical condition, and the decision to halt his execution came from the President House, added Zehri.
‘We will not pardon Saulat Mirza’
Omar Shahid Hamid, son of former KESC director who was murdered by Mirza told Express News that his family will not pardon him.
When asked about Mirza’s statement, Hamid said the original FIR of his father’s murder case – which can still be viewed at the Defence police station in Karachi – names all the people Mirza accused in his confessional video.
Source: BBC Urdu & Express Tribune